A panel discussion to explore current challenges and opportunities facing the design industry association landscape across Australia.
- Friday, 26 August 2022, 1.30 – 3.30pm
- QUT Kelvin Grove, Peter Coaldrake Education Precinct (E-Block), Level 5 Functions Space
- Please RSVP for catering purposes: https://designadvocacy2022.eventbrite.com.au
The design professions continue to play a crucial role in the Australian Innovation Agenda and contribute significantly to the Australian economy and the community. Yet, advocating for the importance of design in tackling pressing issues facing society has never been more urgent. While the design industry landscape is diverse and reflects the plurality of design practices, professions and methods, design advocacy may require a unified voice that is loud and clear amidst other public and commercial interests competing for the attention of stakeholders, policy makers and funding bodies.
Please join us for a discussion panel to explore the state of play in Australia’s design industry landscape and debate current and emerging issues facing the future of design in Australia.
- Jo-Ann Kellock, CEO of the Design Institute of Australia (DIA)
- Paul van Barneveld, CEO of the Australian Design Alliance (AdA)
- Dr Ben Matthews, Senior Lecturer in Design, The University of Queensland
- Dr Stine Johansen, Australian Cobotics Centre, QUT Design Lab and ACM SIGCHI Brisbane
- MC: Professor Marcus Foth, QUT Design Lab
This event is hosted by the QUT Design Lab and the ACM SIGCHI Brisbane chapter and held in conjunction with the Participatory Design Conference (PDC) 2022 Place Australia.
This event continues earlier conversations and debates at the Queensland Design Policy Summit 2016, the DRS 2020 Designing for public interests panel discussion, as well as reflections in the paper “The publics of design: Challenges for design research and practice” in the Design Studies journal, volume 80, by Ben Matthews, Skye Doherty, Jane Johnston and Marcus Foth.
- 1.30pm Welcome and introduction
- 2pm Panel discussion
- 3pm Afternoon tea / networking
- 3.30pm Close
Please RSVP for catering purposes: https://designadvocacy2022.eventbrite.com.au